Sunday, May 20, 2012

Cutting the Apron Strings

My first born is getting ready to leave home. I have mixed feelings about this, but not as much as I thought I would years ago. He is 20 1/2 years old now, and in one week he will be moving away to another state to start a new job and a new life in the adult world on his own. He will return in a couple of months to wed his bride, and then off they will go to start their grand adventure.

When he was little I couldn't imagine life without him, or my other children. But the day after he got this job, in another state, he asked me if I was okay with it. I thought about it, and realized that I was. I will miss him greatly, but I'm okay with him moving away. I told him this is how it is supposed to work. My job is done. I will never stop being his Mom, nor stop caring about him, but my job of raising him is over. He is an adult and if his father and I have done our job well, he is ready to begin to do this life without us. He has his faith in Jesus, he has his helpmate, and he has a good foundation.

Our relationship will begin to change as well. Now we can begin to be friends, not just parent/child. No longer do I tell him what to do, but I can offer advice when he asks for it. No longer does he need to obey his Mom, but he can ask for help and wisdom. He is the man of his family, not just my little boy.

Right now he is nervous about the change, he still likes to be in charge, but I think he will blossom when he gets to his new home. It will be good for him and his bride to lean on each other so much in the beginning. I know that when my husband and I had to do that, we grew from that. As much as he is nervous to go, he has been having growing pains to get away from here as well. More and more the urge to "get out of here" grips him. Maybe that is just another one of God's signals that we have done okay, and he is ready to be off to start his life. I told him that night he got the job, it is not natural for the kids to stay with the parents forever. They are entrusted to us by God for a short time to raise them for Him, and then to let them go into the world to form new families.

My son, you are ready to go. Be Blessed by Jesus


No comments:

Post a Comment